Palomar Technologies, Inc. helps make the connected world possible. We are a world-leading supplier of advanced microelectronic and photonic packaging systems and services used to create the connected world we live in today and envision for tomorrow. Our customers are leaders in their fields of 5G, laser-based products, self-driving cars, LiDAR and more. Our culture is built on excellence, teamwork and winning.
We are interested in individuals with high integrity, great enthusiasm, a track record of commitment and performance, outstanding personal character, out of the box thinking, ability to follow through on tasks, sense of accountability and willingness to learn and grow.
Palomar Technologies currently has an opportunity for a Principal Photonics Engineer.
Successful candidate will apply in-depth-knowledge of Si Photonic, InP Photonic and VCSEL/PD based transceiver and sensor packaging design, define detailed assembly requirements and testing methods for a range of photonic products to produce best-in-class customer value. Focus is in early stages of ideation and technology development; working with multiple customers, suppliers, and Palomar engineers for proof of concept testing.
- Domain knowledge expert in Photonics, Optics, Opto-electronics, Opto-mechanics, Lasers, and Electronics who mentors peers about the domain and related technology.
- Derive product need requirements and test plans based on top-level photonic industry trend and commercial inputs to produce best value for customers. Understand and reports on
- Photonic Industry Trends and how they apply to Palomar’s products and services
- Photonic Research Trends and how they apply to Palomar’s products and services
- Photonic Manufacturing Process Trends and how they apply to Palomar’s products and services
- Contribute to patent portfolio and strategy development.
- Lead, participate in, or support research and development activities such as prototyping and testing, pilot builds, verification & validation, risk assessment, and production ramp-up validation.
- Identify technical, project schedule, and commercial viability risks.
- Run or participate in cross-functional trade-off reviews and drive to design decisions.
Minimum Requirements /Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in Photonic Engineering, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or similar disciplines.
- 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are required.
- Speak/read/write fluent Chinese preferred
- Ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
- Industry and research roadmap domain knowledge; IPSR (Integrated Photonic System Roadmap), WTMF (World Technology Mapping Forum), and iNEMI.
- Telecom and Datacom Optical Transceiver design and assembly knowledge.
- LIDAR Sensor design and assembly knowledge.
- Photonic Sensor domain knowledge
- Working knowledge in SiPhotonic based package designs and assembly process flow
- Working knowledge in InP based package designs and assembly process flow
- Working knowledge in VCSEL and PD based package designs and assembly process flow
- Working knowledge in high precision photonic / optoelectronic assembly process flow and associated process requirements.
- Working knowledge in high precision metrology equipment for measuring and validating10um, 5um, 3um, 1um, and 0.5um assembly tolerances for electrical, optical, and electro-optical components.
- Working knowledge in high precision assembly equipment for 10um, 5um, 3um, 1um, and 0.5um assembly tolerances for electrical, optical, and electro-optical components.
- Laser based heating systems for eutectic solder reflow
- Telecommunication or Datacom Transceiver device development and manufacturing experience.
- Ability to lead small cross-functional team of engineers and technicians.
Palomar Technologies offers an attractive salary and benefits package including 401(k) with employer matching, medical, dental, vision, and education reimbursement. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We seek qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin. Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
If you are interested in this position, please email HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.